Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:26:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Britney's Blog
| |-+  Comments on Poems and Stuff (Moderator: angelbearbp)
| | |-+  need your advice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need your advice  (Read 2278 times)
angelbearbp

« on: September 09, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »

I need advice for writing. As you may know or not know I want to major in Journalism or Creative Writing. I've noticed that for writing I am good at writing a characters thoughts and experiences just not providing background details or describing what everything looks like. My mind just draws blanks. Does anyone know how I can stir up my gift and write about background and details (like in a scene)? I someday want to write a fiction book. Right now I am working on an wisdom/autobiography kind of book and a Children's story.
Any ideas?

~Brit
NowIsForever

LaserLite

Lionize Me
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:57:59 AM »

I need advice for writing...My mind just draws blanks. Does anyone know how I can stir up my gift and write about background and details (like in a scene)?...Any ideas?

~Brit

Hello Brit,

I too am looking forward to becoming a writer.  The only thing I have written professionally has been parts of software technical manuals.  I would like to write articles popularizing science and later science fiction.

I am going to make a suggestion--sort of a brainstorming suggestion that may have no value at all.  Just consider it a bit of advice from a neophyte such as yourself.

Since you consider your attempts so far at writing background details inadequate, try writing down everything you can think about that has any relavance at all without pausing to consider if it is good writing or not.  Go for volume.  Later put on your critic's hat and discard the segments that really arn't art.  Alternatively, to phrase it another way, let your right brain put the words to paper and then only later use your left brain to distill the sound from the dross.

Namaste,

-- Charles
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter." -- Mark Twain
angelbearbp

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:39:55 AM »

Dear NowIsForever, Thank you so much for your help! Ill try what you said. Also I have another question-I don't have a big vocabulary....is there anything I can do or websites you know of that can help me add new words to my vocabulary? I usually like to use a lot of idioms, phrases, and sayings but in like school papers and essays they seem to not like that sort of thing. I beg to differ and think that since idioms are used everywhere-books, music, movies that that should count for something.

~Brit
NowIsForever

LaserLite

Lionize Me
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:54:09 AM »

....is there anything I can do or websites you know of that can help me add new words to my vocabulary?
~Brit

I probably have a larger than average vocabulary.  If so it is because when I was in high school, I used to read the dictionary frequently.  I don't do that anymore, but that is in part because the computer is where I do most of my learning.  I would read an entry that interested me and that may have a word that I didn't know which intrigued me, so I would flip to that, and on and on.

For example, here are some words that I learned in my youth:  feign, minutiae, enervate, tantalum, coruscate, and nascent.

One way to learn new words would be to obtain a word list.  They are available here on the Internet, or I could email one to you in a zip file if you wish.

I pulled this list from the one I have:

facia, factotum, facula, fado, faeces, fagin, fahlband, faience, faille, faineant, faitour, falciform,
falderol, fallfish, falx, famulus, fandango, fanega, fanegada, fanegas, fanfaron, fanfold, fanga, fanion,
fano, fantasticate, fantod, fanum, fanwort, faqir, faquir, farandole, farceur, farcie, farcy, fard, fardel,
farer, farfal, farfalle, farinaceous, farl, farle, farnesol, farouche, farraginous, farrago, farthingale,
fasces, fascicle, fascicular, fascicule, fasciculus

This word is said to be the longest in the English language:  floccinaucinihilipilification .

Reading classics is another fine way to build a vocabulary.

Have fun.

-- Charles
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter." -- Mark Twain
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »