Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2017, 12:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Thoughtful Living Board
| |-+  The Debating Club
| | |-+  Mind and Brain separation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mind and Brain separation  (Read 3570 times)
EricC

« on: July 06, 2011, 01:33:55 AM »

I've been learning about neurological mysteries, and I think there are several well-known neurological mysteries that are absolutely crushing to the materialist argument that the brain gives rise to consciousness.

The first is called 'Terminal Lucidity' that I recently learned about.

There are people who have severe dementia who can't even remember the names and faces of their family members. They might not be able to find words, or hold a proper conversation.  Sometimes, as their death approaches, these people enter a lucid state where they're able to remember everything. They can hold a conversation - it's like they don't have dementia at all.

The thing is, the brain damage 'supposedly' responsible for their dementia is still very much there during this period of lucidity, yet for all intensive purposes they behave as if they had no brain damage at all.

The second is 'Acquired Savant Syndrome'

In acquired savant syndrome, people suffer brain damage, and rather than lose cognitive capacity they gain incredible mental abilities.  This is not what one would expect if the brain is the producer of consciousness, if the brain did produce consciousness one would expect brain damage to lead to less cognitive function.

The third, 'Severe Hydrocephalus' has already been discussed here, but the fact that people who have less than 5% of their brain mass can go through life normally (and sometimes, even be above average mentally) just destroys the brain-centered view of consciousness IMO.
Sam
Administrator

Thoughtful Living
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:09 AM »

Excellent observation. You are right.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -- George Carlin
NowIsForever

LaserLite

Lionize Me
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:16:29 AM »

EricC,

Here you are "preaching to the choir." There's nothing wrong with that, by the way, since I for one really appreciate knowing about these aberrations. I'm familiar with the hydrocephalic "disorder"; however, I knew nothing about the other two. Thanks for sharing.

"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter." -- Mark Twain
EricC

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:23:38 AM »

EricC,

Here you are "preaching to the choir." There's nothing wrong with that, by the way, since I for one really appreciate knowing about these aberrations. I'm familiar with the hydrocephalic "disorder"; however, I knew nothing about the other two. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah :P

I know most people here are already convinced of mind/brain separation, the reason I like to post this kind of stuff on these forums is because I know at least a couple of you go to other forums and spread the point of view that mind is separate from brain.  I figure if I share more information it might help some of you make your case to others, which might open a few more minds.  Every little bit of evidence helps paint the picture.

Cheers.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »