Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Thoughtful Living Board
| |-+  The Debating Club
| | |-+  The reducing valve
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The reducing valve  (Read 2203 times)
EricC

« on: February 25, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »

I've long been of the belief that the brain doesn't produce consciousness, that it's actually more of a filter for consciousness to keep us locked in the human experience.  This filter can be viewed as a valve that controls how much or how little consciousness to allow us to experience.  So, while materialist science would say that brain activity gives rise to consciousness, the filter theory on the other hand would say that the brain reacts to consciousness.

This reducing valve theory can explain everything that the materialist theory of the brain can.  For instance, when somebody suffers brain damage and becomes mentally handicapped.  Under the filter theory, it's not consciousness that was damaged, it was the brain's ability to open itself to consciousness.  The valve is stuck in reduction mode. 

The reducing valve can also explain memory loss just as well as the materialist explanation.  The memories are still there, the brain has simply blocked them or lost the ability to open itself to them.

On the other hand, what about when somebody suffers brain damage, and rather than become handicapped, they gain amazing mental abilities?  This is the case of some savants.  I believe the materialist theory that the brain creates consciousness is entirely inadequate to explain how somebody could gain abilities from losing neurons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE3SXh5mmyI
The above link shows the story of a man who suddenly gained the ability to play the piano after suffering a concussion.  Under the filter theory, part of the valve that controls the reduction of consciousness was damaged.  How do materialists explain this? 

Or the fact that some people live normal lives and have above average IQs with a fraction of the brain mass of others?
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/science/is_the_brain_really_necessary.htm

Upon death, I believe, we can view reality with our highest consciousness.  Our unfiltered consciousness.  That is not to say that all people lose all filters after death.  I believe filters after death are constructed by ourselves, through our belief systems.
Sam
Administrator

Thoughtful Living
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:26:31 AM »

Well, I would certainly give you an "A" on this post. I might not use the same words, but I come to the same conclusions. The materialists have no answer for this logic and research. Until they do, their research is only guessing.

Good
Work

Sam
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:27:30 AM by Sam » Logged
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -- George Carlin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »