Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Thoughtful Living Board
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Prologue for my Lord of Light essay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prologue for my Lord of Light essay  (Read 3665 times)
NowIsForever

LaserLite

Lionize Me
« on: August 12, 2007, 07:26:02 PM »

Prologue

It has been ascribed the designation as the ultimate question:

Why is there something rather than nothing?

You can believe me when I say that this is the first question I will ask God when next we meet.  I consider nothing more important to me than the answer to this question.  Yet—strange though it may seem—I think I may through an experience of my youth have some idea concerning how the situation arose whereby nothing eventually and through utterly amazing and tortuous struggle gave rise to the universe that we know and all of everything else that lies beyond our ken as humans.

The experience relates to a time when I was in my early twenties and by an interval of intense thought I came upon an idea while pacing back and forth through the fluid sands of the path between rows of orange trees.  At the time the impression I had of the idea was that it would be something good for a science fiction story.

Put simply the reason that there is something rather than nothing is that nothing is unstable..  Nothing will always give rise to something.  This is a common occurrence in our world that has been validated in the twentieth century by quantum mechanics.  Literally everywhere energy is being created and destroyed all the time in the minute realms of the quantum world. This feature of the world revealed by quantum mechanics may even be a result of the original struggle that resulted in God's genesis.

So “picture” this:  there is nothing and then there is something.  This something cannot be described for it is before there is space and time.  Time in this context can only mean a sequence of somethings, one following another as if linked causally by the connection that one “event” is a prerequisite for the next.  And then in my imagination this sort of thing happens again, and again, and again, and ...  Each time “it” happens perhaps different sequences of somethings are manifest.  And perhaps some sequence of somethings gives rise to consciousness.  An awareness that “this” has happened before.  Literally countless times.  But at the end of these sequences of somethings there is always a collapse to nothingness.  An awareness that the growth and collapse has happened so—many—times—before “arrives.”  A knowledge that it will happen again forces a determination that something must be done to prevent the eventual collapse to nothingness.  How this knowledge arises—I have no idea.  Perhaps the structure of linked somethings is rich enough to enable a knowledge to exist.  Torture!  The sequence of building only to have eventual collapse is truly intolerable!  Something must be done!  A determination would develop to be able to pass on the knowledge of how to stave off eventual collapse.  The mind of this awareness would likely be chaotic and multithreaded.  A cacophony of mind states, a community of mind.  “They” will find some way to pass on information to another generation that will enable “them” to survive to a point of self sustainability.  It should be obvious that anything that would arise from this tortuous state of affairs would never, never, NEVER let this collapse happen again!  If only because the end result would be eventual uplift from nothingness again.  More torture, more pain.  And that cannot be prevented, because nothing is unstable..
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter." -- Mark Twain
NowIsForever

LaserLite

Lionize Me
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:05:31 PM »

I have revised the Prologue using a combination of the programs WhiteSmoke (a grammar checking commercial program) and Grammarly.com (a site that does an online grammar check). This is the result:

Prologue

Many have considered this to be the ultimate question:

Why is there something rather than nothing?

This is the first question I will ask God when next we meet.  I consider nothing more fundamental to me than the answer to this question.  Nevertheless—strange though it may seem—I think I may, through an experience of my youth, have some idea concerning how the situation arose whereby nothing eventually and via utterly amazing and tortuous struggle gave rise to the universe that we know and all of everything else that lies beyond human knowledge.

The experience relates to a time when I was in my early twenties and by an interval of intense thought, I came upon an idea while pacing back and forth through the fluid sands of the path between rows of orange trees.  At the time, the impression I had of the idea was that it would be something good for a science fiction story.

The simple reason that there is something rather than nothing is that nothing is unstable.  Nothing will always give rise to something.  This is a common occurrence in the universe validated in the twentieth century by quantum mechanics.  Everywhere in the universe energy is constantly created and destroyed in the minute realms of the quantum world. This feature of the world revealed by quantum mechanics may even be a result of the first struggle that resulted in God's origin.

Consider this:  there is nothing and then there is something.  This something cannot be described for it is before there is space-time.  Time in this context can only mean a sequence of somethings, one following another as if linked causally by the connection that one “event” is a prerequisite for the next.  Then in my imagination, this sort of thing happens again, and again, and again, and ...  Each time “it” happens perhaps different sequences of somethings are manifest.  Then some sequence of somethings gives rise to consciousness and an awareness that “this” has happened before—literally countless times.  However, at the end of these sequences of somethings there is always a collapse to nothingness.  An awareness that the growth and collapse have happened so—many—times—before “arrives.”  The knowledge that it will happen without end forces a determination that something must be done to prevent the eventual collapse to nothingness.  How this knowledge arises, I do not know.  Perhaps the structure of linked somethings is rich enough to enable knowledge to exist.

Torture!  The sequence of building only to have an eventual collapse is truly intolerable!  Something must be done!  A determination would develop to be able to pass on the knowledge of how to stave off an eventual collapse.  The mind of this awareness would likely be chaotic and multithreaded, a cacophony of mind states, a community of mind.  “They” will find some way to pass on information to another generation that will enable “them” to survive to a point of self sustainability.  It should be obvious that anything that would arise from this tortuous state of affairs would never, never, NEVER let this collapse happen again!  That is because the result would be an eventual uplift from nothingness again.  The result would be more torture, more pain.  That cannot be prevented, because nothing is unstable.

"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter." -- Mark Twain
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »