Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 03:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Thoughtful Living Board
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Forum SPAM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forum SPAM  (Read 1609 times)
NowIsForever

LaserLite

Lionize Me
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »

Sam,

I have never seen any SPAM here on your site. However, I get a new batch every day on my forum. We use virtually the same forum software (my version is 1.1.11 while your's is 1.1.8 ).

I looked into a way to eliminate this, but all I found (I didn't look very much, nor did I ask questions) was that features in version 2.0 would make SPAM managment easier.

How do you do it?

Namaste, Charles
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter." -- Mark Twain
Sam
Administrator

Thoughtful Living
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »

The Spammers don't want to post anything usually, but they want their name to be seen with the link to their sales site. So I turn off all the forums members list to everyone but me. So no one can see who are members of my forum. This helps a lot. I also have a notice on the "About this Board" telling that spamm will be deleted. Another thing I do is to go through the membership list at least every week and delete those members who have not visited the board. I know these people registered through a bot, and did not intend to participare.

I hope this helps. I would upgrade by board but everything I try I get errors so I quit trying.

Love

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -- George Carlin
NowIsForever

LaserLite

Lionize Me
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »

Thanks, Sam. This has given me some things to think about. I'll work something out.

Namaste,  Charles
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter." -- Mark Twain
Sam
Administrator

Thoughtful Living
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »

You are welcome.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -- George Carlin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »