Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 12:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Thoughtful Living Board
| |-+  Need to talk to someone?
| | |-+  A printer’s devil
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A printer’s devil  (Read 2520 times)
NowIsForever

LaserLite

Lionize Me
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »

Sam,

Knowing that you were a printer, I thought you might find this interesting:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-devil-part-two/

Part One has less to do with printers:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/speak-of-the-devil/

Namaste, Charles
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that a savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter." -- Mark Twain
Sam
Administrator

Thoughtful Living
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:04 PM »

Thanks for the link, it's been a long time, but I still remember those days of hand-set type.

Love
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -- George Carlin
chet
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:21:16 AM »

I just wanted to say how I personally respect the typesetters/typographers and printers of the time before computers!

In the last few years I've worked as a proofreader in a UK printing firm, and I've met men who had been typesetters from the 1950s - when they literally had to set type! Their fingers were calloused from putting the pieces in place; some of them had fingernails that were odd-looking. They often helped me out with the technicalities of the job - salt of the earth, Yorkshire men. They knew every nuance of printing, e.g. line spacing to a millimetre. The old guys were the most helpful to me and I will always be grateful to them and admire their expertise.

I was there one day in 2008 when the company finally took the old machines away  - we stood at the windows as the old machines, the drawers of type etc., were taken away on lorries. It was an ending of an era,  but the typesetters themselves were given no recognition. 

I now work as a freelance copyeditor but I will always respect the typesetters and printers from those days.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:36:25 AM by chet » Logged
Sam
Administrator

Thoughtful Living
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »

Yes, I owned a typesetting company and experienced the change myself. The day when the Linotypes and cases were carted away was a sad one for me also. I ran a Linotype for about 12 years before converting to photo type and then to computer typesetting. I am retired and glad of it. Thanks for the memories of days long gone.

Love

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -- George Carlin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »