Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Miscellaneous
| |-+  Previous Board Posts
| | |-+  The 'God' gene and evolution
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'God' gene and evolution  (Read 1785 times)
Sam
Administrator

Thoughtful Living
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:24:17 PM »

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: The 'God' gene and evolution   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have many atheist friends, although I do not share that particular view with them. We sometimes get into good natured debates and the one thing they always go back to is asking exactly what do I base my irrational belief on.

Faith is not a good answer for people who want you to provide reasoning.

Having given my brain the best excercise it seems capable of, I have come up with an argument which seems to give them problems:

If you follow the evolutionary argument, you have to recognise any inconsistancies or weaknesses and challenge them; just as my faith gets challenged.

Of all the survival strategies adapted by all the species of plants and animals on the planet, man seems to have some which are completely unique and totally unneccessary for the survival of the species: Science and Religion.

I can understand why these are seemingly unique to man. Animals live in the moment and I believe they are much closer to God than we are in many ways. They are given instinct instead of freedom of choice, and act in the interest of survival and without knowledge of "good and evil".

Mankind not only has these unique traits, science and religion, mankind is dominated by these traits. We have a deeply inbuilt obsession with understanding where we came from and where we are going. We do not 'live in the moment' in the way the other species do.

This does not follow any logic of evolution that I've ever heard about. That we seem to have some sort of 'God' gene, according to recent brain studies, makes no sense in evolutionary terms.

Any thoughts? 
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -- George Carlin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »