Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 06:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Britney's Blog
| |-+  Comments on Poems and Stuff (Moderator: angelbearbp)
| | |-+  re: Believe good things about yourself
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: re: Believe good things about yourself  (Read 1951 times)
chet
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:33:55 AM »

Hello Britney, I like your idea of studying people who are 'overly happy' or 'overly loving'! What 'syndrome' would that be then?!!!  :P

There is a famous psychiatrist called Thomas Szasz who said just about the same thing you said above! He basically said: Imagine you're walking down a street and a man comes up to you saying the world is ending - maybe he's dressed in a white gown and has a crown of gold leaves on his head. You assume he's mentally ill and so you sort of walk on by.

Thirty minutes later (you're still there on the same street ) a group of about fifty people come by with the same white robes and crowns of gold upon their heads,saying the world is ending - you then realise it's a RELIGION. So you think: OH.... that's OK then.   ::)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:57:51 AM by chet » Logged
angelbearbp

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »

I could be the next Thomas Szasz! At least I want to change the world especially in the way people view mental illness.

~Brit
chet
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:08:14 AM »

Obviously there ARE definable mental illnesses like bipolar disorder (my husband has this) or schizophrenia and, thank God, there are medications for some of these mental disorders. I personally thank God for the discovery that lithium treats bipolar disorder. Lithium is a salt and yet it can transform someone from a maniac into a normal person (I've seen it happen - we're made of strange stuff!).

I think what Szasz is saying is, we need to keep an open mind, because lots of people act in so-called irrational ways and in fact we all do at times! We're lucky if our brain chemistry is within the normal range; if it isn't, science is developing ways to help. At any rate we shouldn't be judgemental even though it's easy to be so.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »