Thoughtful Living
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:36:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To register, email Sam. The admin has a book on NDEs, more infor  http://kenkatin.com
3142 Posts in 1432 Topics by 619 Members
Latest Member: britney
Home Help Login Register
+  Thoughtful Living
|-+  Britney's Blog
| |-+  Poems and Stuff (Moderator: angelbearbp)
| | |-+  Breaking the Social Stigma of Marriage and Children article
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breaking the Social Stigma of Marriage and Children article  (Read 1476 times)
angelbearbp

« on: March 30, 2012, 07:26:43 AM »

Breaking the Social Stigma of Marriage and Children
                                                         By Britney Pieta

Why is it that people are looked down on if they don’t want to get married or have children?
There seems to be a social stigma that children are the only thing that can make a person happy or have a purpose in their life.
          According to some statistics, women are getting married older and some are waiting longer to have children. Along with that parents in certain races are having fewer children such as Europeans and Americans. According to the Population Reference Bureau, “Marriage rates have dropped precipitously among young adults ages 25 to 34 during the past decade and the decline has accelerated since the onset of the recession.”
      I am one of those people who doesn’t see herself having a spouse or offspring. I believe that friendships and relationships definitely should be top priority and important, but that doesn’t mean necessarily a child or a spouse like they always seem to emphasize in movies. You must be strong inside and know who you are and be able to identify what roles you play to others. You can be a good aunt or uncle, cousin, mentor, sister or brother, spiritual mother or father/prayer warrior, pen pal etc.
     Some people tend to do nothing but work and their career. I think though if you are working all the time than you should try to develop friendships with the people (bosses, employees, customers) there because we are social creatures and you need to have contact with others in some way.
     It is important that you know what you are getting into if you want to have children. If you are not doing so well yourself: are an alcoholic, drug addict, in jail often well maybe then you need to get your own life in order. It could make your child have a traumatic life and you don’t want that do you?
     Ask yourself these questions:   Am I mature enough to raise a kid? (knowing the responsibilities that come with it) Am I having children only because everyone else is doing it? Will I be able to provide a good life for this child financially, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually? Will I be able to be an active contributor in my child’s life? (not too involved in work or too much away from home)
    7 billion people and counting on the planet is a lot of people. According to Euromonitor Global Market, “Children ages 0 to 14 in 2010 made up 26.2% of the population.”  A lot of those children may be orphans or cast anyways. So if you are considering to have a child maybe you should think of trying to adopt the children already on the planet.

Sam
Administrator

Thoughtful Living
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:27 AM »

This is a great follow-up for your decision. It has research and all the points it should have. It is a great article.

Love
Leroy
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. -- George Carlin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »